Colleges and Universities in South Dakota
South Dakota has
30 higher education schools within its borders.
the highest-ranked school in SD,
has a total student population of 1,793 and
218th highest ranked school in the USA.
Of the 30 schools
in South Dakota, the average student population is 1,780 and average student-to-faculty ratio is
15 to 1. There are 1098 total
degree (or certificate) programs in the state, with 1,143 people on average applying for a school.
Undergraduate tuition costs are normally around
$6,336, but can vary widely depending on the type
Of the 30 schools in South Dakota,
only 1 has a student population over 10k. After taking into account tuition, living expenses, and financial aid,
University of Sioux Falls comes out as the most expensive ($19,361/yr),
with National American University-Ellsworth AFB Extension as the lowest recorded at only $2,785/yr.
South Dakota Interesting Facts
Top National Parks in South Dakota
Famous State Residents
- Sculptor Gutzon Borglum began drilling into the 6,200-foot Mount Rushmore in 1927. Creation of the Shrine to Democracy took 14 years and cost a mere $1 million, though it's now deemed priceless.
- The faces of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln are sculpted into Mount Rushmore the world's greatest mountain carving.
- Fossilized remains of life 50 million years ago have been arranged in unusual forms, which is Lemmon's mark of distinction at the world's largest petrified wood park.
- Perhaps the most significant fur trade/military fort on the western American frontier, Fort Pierre Chouteau was the largest (almost 300' square) and best equipped trading post in the northern Great Plains. Built in 1832 by John Jacob Astor's (1763-1848) American Fur Company as part of its expansion into the Upper Missouri region, the trading activities at the site exemplified the commercial alliance critical to the success of the fur business.
- Jack McCall was tried, convicted and hanged two miles north of Yankton in 1877 for the shooting of Wild Bill Hickok. He is buried in an unmarked grave in the Yankton cemetery.