A Teacher's Ultimate Destination for Virtual Field Trips
Teachers can take their students on field trips across the country and around the world. They can explore the Library of Congress or Lincoln Memorial through interactive tours. A baby panda, mysterious octopus and curious orangutan are just a mouse click away by way of zoo and aquarium web cams like the AnimalCams at the National Zoological Park. Tech Robotics, the Paleontology Portal and Amusement Park Physics are just a few of the virtual science adventures that can spark the imagination of young minds. Virtual field trips open up the world and the universe to students and their teachers. Whether it's a teacher-guided group field trip or individual student projects, the wide array of virtual tours freely available online can add an exciting dimension to the classroom.
- The Liberty Bell: All about this symbol of freedom at the Liberty Bell Virtual Museum.
- America's Capital: Virtual tour of the buildings and history of Washington, D.C.
- Lincoln Memorial: An interactive tour of this historic monument on the Washington Mall. Included are video talks from the park rangers who care for it.
- A Capitol Experience: A tour of Capitol Building where the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives do the legislative work of the country.
- About the White House: Take a virtual field trip to the White House and learn about its history and the people and animals that lived there.
- Statue of Liberty: Explore Lady Liberty to base to crown.
- Ellis Island: The history of immigrants to America if offered by this virtual field trip.
- Middle Ages: Will you choose a knight, merchant, peasant or nun to be your guide on a trip back to Medieval times?
- Monticello: Virtual tour of Thomas Jefferson's home.
- Oriental Institute: Take a virtual tour of the museum and learn about the ancient past.
- Library of Congress: America's historic library as seen through virtual tours.
- Way Out West: Learn all about the West in this multi-media tour in eight parts.
- Jamestown: Take a virtual field trip back to the beginning of this New World colony founded more than 400 years ago.
- Doing History: Learn about history on these virtual tours from the University of Northern Colorado.
- Port of Los Angeles: A virtual visit to the Port of Los Angeles, with lots things to learn about its history.
- Hawaii: Take a virtual tour of Hawaiian Islands.
- Enchanted Rock State Park: A field trip to the Hill Country, deep in the heart of Texas.
- New York: What does the Empire State Building look like? What can you see from the top? Find the answers on a virtual field trip to this New York City building.
- Columbia River: Take a field trip on the Columbia River as it runs through Oregon and Washington.
- California: Legacy trails through the state of California.
- Yellowstone National Park: Windows into Wonderland offers several field trips within this amazing park.
- Big Bend Online Field Trip: Learn about Big Bend Country and enjoy the scenic panoramas all around the park.
- Grand Canyon NP: Explore the geology of Grand Canyon National Park.
- Everglades National Park: Take a field trip and learn about the animals and environment of this unique park.
- Inca Trail: Head down the virtual Inca Trail to see what captivated explorer Hiram Bingham.
- Australia: Take a virtual field trip to the Australian Realm and find out about the Great Barrier Reef.
- Rome: Become a virtual tourist and see Rome and learn about its history.
- Panama Canal: See how ships make their way through the Panama Canal.
- Canada: The landscapes of Nova Scotia await those who take this virtual field trip.
- Europe: Take this grand tour of Europe and see the sights in many countries.
- Tour Egypt: Learn about ancient and modern Egypt on this virtual field trip.
- Leonardo da Vinci: Explore the life and work of one of the world's best known painters at Boston's Museum of Science.
- Tours of the Louvre: From Egyptian antiquities to the decorative arts, many tours await the virtual visitor.
- At the National Gallery: Lots of paintings and painters to explore here.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: Take a field trip through the art of the 19th century or choose another period from the Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History.
- Carlsbad Caverns: Explore the geology of Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico.
- Carbonate Sediments: All about the Florida Keys and their environment.
- Volcano Explorer: A virtual field trip to explore volcanoes around the world. From tectonic plates to the Ring of Fire, it's here to learn about.
- New Mexico: Head out on this virtual geologic tour of New Mexico.
- Travertine: Virtual field trips to Wyoming and Idaho to learn about travertine that is forming today.
- Galapagos Islands: Explore the geology of the remarkable Galapagos Islands.
- Antarctica: Virtual tour of Antarctic including McMurdo Station and the South Pole.
- Lake Mead: Virtual field trip of the geologic history of Lake Mead, Nevada and Arizona.
- Virtual Vacationland: Seven tours of earth science topics are available to the budding scientist.
- Lake Baikal: Explore Russia's deepest lake on virtual field trip using satellite images.
- Trips Through Time: Choose a time period and start your field trip through geological time.
- Death Valley: Get up close to the geology of Death Valley with these panoramic virtual tours.
- Underground Adventure: Take the virtual tour. Go underground and meet the creatures who live there.
- Earthquakes: Field trip to explore earthquakes.
- Paleontology: Stroll through the exhibit halls of the University of California's Museum of Paleontology.
- Volcano Observatory: Take a field trip to all the areas that the Alaska Volcano Observatory monitors.
- Tox Town: Tour this virtual community and learn about how toxic chemicals affect humans and the environment.
- Sports Science: Take a virtual field trip to the Exploratorium and learn about the science of baseball, skateboarding, surfing and cycling.
- Franklin Institute: Visit the Case Files at Franklin Institute and learn about scientists and the important work they did.
- Galaxy Tour: A trip through the Milky Way and beyond.
- Biodiversity: Take an online field trip to Costa Rico and learn about the caterpillars that are a vital part of the ecosystem.
- Beautiful Clouds: A field trip to find out about clouds at the Cloud Boutique.
- Go to Mars: Virtual exploration of a simulated base on Mars.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory: Take a tour to learn what it takes to be a space explorer.
- Botany at the Arboretum: Virtual tour of the United States National Arboretum.
- The Weather Dude: Learn all about wind, rain, snow, storms and all kinds of weather.
- History of Science: Explore lots of exhibits on this virtual visit to the Institute and Museum of the History of Science.
- Tropical Twisters: A virtual tour of hurricanes, how they work and how dangerous they are.
- Virtual Planetarium: Explore the sky and the observatories at this virtual planetarium.
- Tsunamis: An online field trip about these giant waves, what causes them and the damage they can do.
- Fire and Forest: Take this virtual field trip and learn about how fire is beneficial to the longleaf pine savanna.
- Robotics: Visit the Tech Museum of Innovation and explore robotics.
- Get to Know Poe: A cool interactive way to take a field trip to explore the life and work of Edgar Allen Poe.
- Poet's Pantry: An online field trip through the wonderful world of poetry.
- Stories of America: Follow America's history through a trail of stories.
- Historical Literature: Take a trip back in time through the children's literature of the past.
- Visit the Zoo: See what's happening live in the animal habitats at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C.
- CritterCam Chronicles: Learn what animals do when humans aren't around.
- Animal Diversity: Take a field trip to the virtual place to explore Kingdom Animalia. With big names to explore, pictures to see and sounds to hear, the animal kingdom comes alive.
- Under the Water: Take a virtual tour of the Monterey Bay Aquarium by web cam, podcast or video.
- Life-size Whale: Go on a very unusual virtual underwater exploration of a whale. Click on any part of the whale to see up close.
- Dinosaurs: An interactive field trip to learn about the time of the dinosaurs.
- Desert Tortoise: Virtual field trip to explore the life of the endangered desert tortoise.
- The Story of Milk: A virtual tour about cows and the milk you drink.